Saturday, June 1, 2013

"Van Fever" submitted by Vanny

It all started with getting a ride in a furniture delivery van when I was just a kid. My buddies dad let me ride on the doghouse of a Ford Econoline. I’ve never forgotten that feeling after all these years.

My first vehicle that I purchase on my own was a 63 Ford Econoline that was a used local Post Office vehicle for the price of $50. It looked really funny because it had 13’’ rims on it. The problem with it was that it had a LOT of rust on it. It was still such an awesome feeling to drive something with a 3 on-the-tree shifter and you’re sitting right on top of the wheels. You had to be wary at all times as you were sitting very close to the front end of the vehicle. Good thing we didn’t have cell phones back then.

Fast forward a few years and someone I knew was selling a California Econoline with very little rust. This was the early 80’s when vanning was “in” and we joined a local van club.

These vans were so easy to work on and the engine being inside the van was cool because you could work on the engine in the pouring rain because you were under cover. Working on the van with a buddy of mine was great. He was a mechanic and taught me quite a bit about the van. People in the club were always willing to lend a hand and we met a lot of nice folks while attending the Truck-Ins. Years later we built a new house and raised our kids and I reluctantly sold the van.

Recently, while driving through New Hampshire, I spotted a vintage Chevy van and it brought back a lot of fond memories. I decided to “just for the heck of it”, start scanning the internet for old vans. One day I happened to come across the Vintage-Vans site after Googling “vintage vans for sale”.

The rest, as they say is history. I stumbled upon a site where there were many people my age, as well as younger and older, who had the same “Disease”, as I did. There is something about the character and pure fun of working on and driving these gems that digs it’s talons in you and just doesn’t let go. The helpfulness and comradery of these vanners is contagious! My wife thinks I’m crazy for even considering buying one but the mere thought of having another vintage van to tinker with has given me a chance to revive an old hobby of mine. May take some time to save up some cash but well worth it and in the meantime, I’m learning a TON of things just reading about them on this site. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it! - Vanny

No comments:

Post a Comment